Home Restorative Justice
Restorative Justice Programs
Since 1996 Hawai‘i
Friends has been working with restorative justice. It has introduced, evaluated and realized the results of its
restorative justice programs published in numerous journals and
presented at conferences, which are listed below and may be downloaded. Hawai‘i Friends has worked with public housing communities,
the police, courts, and schools to introduce restorative justice. We use solution-focused principles in our restorative work. Our latest projects have been for people who want to amend protective orders (including TROs) or want to bring closure to relationships in a restorative and solution-focused manner outside of an adversarial process; for prisons including staff, the incarcerated people and their loved ones; youth correctional institutions also including incarcerated youth, their families and staff; people completing parole and their loved ones and the community and
for courts. If you need more detailed information please contact Lorenn
or phone: (808) 218-3712 or skype: lorennwalker
Video Testimonials (click the small triangle below the movie clip to play)
Restorative Justice & Solution Focused Training:
Custom trainings including training for trainers available on request to fit your organizations budgetary needs -- contact
Restorative Justice Articles:
- Solution-Focused Reentry and Transition Planning for Imprisoned
People, Walker, 2013. In De Jong & Berg, Interviewing for Solutions,
Belmont, CA: Brooks/Cole.
- Restorative Justice: Definition & Purpose, Walker, 2013, In van Wormer & Walker, 2012, Restorative Justice Today: Practical Applications, Los Angles, CA: Sage.
- Remember Bob Shapel: A Prison Dialogue at Walla Walla, Walker, In van Wormer & Walker, 2013, Restorative Justice Today: Practical Applications, Los Angles, CA: Sage.
- Brazil's Restorative Prisons,
Walker, Johnson & van Wormer, In van Wormer & Walker, 2013,
Restorative Justice Today: Practical Applications, Los Angles, CA: Sage.
- Facilitator Development and Training for Reentry Planning Circles,
Walker, Offender Programs Report: Social and Behavioral Rehabilitation
in Prisons, Jails and the Community, 16:1, 1, 11-16, May/June, 2012.
Celebrations for Parolee and Probationer Completion: The Importance of
Ritual for Reentry Parole and Probation Completion Restorative
Celebrations, Walker (In press 2012), In van Wormer & Walker,
2013, Restorative Justice Today: Practical Applications, Los Angles,
- Huikahi Restorative Circles: Group Process for Self-Directed Reentry Planning and Family Healing, European Journal of Probation, Walker, October 2010, 2:2, p. 76-95
link to article
- Huikahi Restorative Circles: A Public Health Approach
for Reentry Planning
, Walker & Greening, Federal Probation Journal, June 2010, Vol. 74:1.
link to article
- You're Gonna Make It: Reentry Planning at a
Hawai'i Women's Prison,
Walker, in Van Wormer's Working with Female Offenders: A Gender-Sensitive Approach, Wiley: New Jersey, 2010, p. 178 - 182.
- Modified Restorative Circles: A Reintegration Group Planning Process That Promotes Desistance, Walker, Contemporary Justice Review, Vol. 12, No. 4, December 2009, 419-431.
- Restorative Circles: Helping Imprisoned People & Loved Ones Meet Their Needs, October 2009, Correctional Service of Canada Restorative Justice Week Kit.
- Pono Kaulike: Reducing Violence with Restorative Justice and Solution-Focused Approaches
, Walker & Hayashi, Federal Probation Journal, June 2009 Vol 73, No. 1, 23-27.
Restorative Justice is a Mandated Component of Hawai'is Reentry System,
Brady and Walker, Justice Connections, Issue 6, Summer 2008.
Waikiki Youth Circles: Homeless Youth Learn Goal Setting Skills,
Walker, Journal of Family Psychotherapy, Vol. 19(1) 2008
- Implementation of Solution-Focused Skills in a Hawaii Prison, Walker, In Interviewing for Solutions, Berg and DeJong, 2008.
Pono Kaulike: A Hawaii Court Provides Restorative Justice Practices for Healing Relationships
, Walker & Hayashi, Federal Probation Journal, Vol. 71, No. 3, 18-24, 2007.
A Gift of Listening for Hawaii's Inmates,
Walker & Sakai, Corrections Today, December 2006
Restorative Circles: A Reentry Planning Process for Inmates, Walker, Sakai & Brady,
Federal Probation Journal, June 2006, Vol. 70, No. 1. additional link
E Makua Ana Youth Circles: A Transition Planning Process for Youth Exiting Foster Care, Walker,
Connections, No. 21, Fall 2005, a publication of the International Victim Offender Mediation Association (VOMA).
A Cohort Study of ‘Ohana Conferencing in Child Abuse and Neglect Cases, Walker,
American Humane Society, Protecting Children, Vol. 19(4), pp. 36 - 46, April 2005.
Pono Kaulike a Pilot Restorative Justice Program, Walker & Hayaashi, Hawaii Bar Journal, May 2004
Restorative Justice Without Offender Participation: A Pilot Program for Victims, Walker,
International Institute for Restorative Practices, February 2004 PDF version
Conferencing: A Group Process That Promotes Resiliency Publication
, Walker, Second International Conference on Conferencing and Circles: Restorative
Practice in Action. Toronto, Ontario, Canada, 10-12. August 2000.
Conferencing: A New Approach for Juvenile Justice in Honolulu., Walker,
Federal Probation Journal, Vol. 66 (1) June 2002.
Conferencing: Western Application of Indigenous Peoples' Conflict Resolution Practices,
Presented at Fifth National Conference on Family and Community Violence Prevention, April 9, 2001,
Los Angeles, California, U.S.A.
Beyond Policy: Conferencing on Student Behavior Walker, Principal Leadership, Vol. 1 (7) March 2001.
Hawaii Public Housing Implements Conferencing: A Restorative Approach
to Conflict Resolution
, Walker, Journal of Housing & Community Development, Nov/Dec. 2000.